18 slices of bacon
1 small onion, sliced
Sliced Muenster cheese, enough for one slice per sandwich (9 slices if you are getting the Texas Toast from the freezer section.)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Texas Toast (you can get the kind in the frozen section of the grocery or make your own by thickly slicing a loaf of French Bread and adding garlic butter to each slice)
Leftovers: Gravy, mashed potatoes, and turkey
How to prepare:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
2. Arrange the Texas Toast on a baking sheet. Divide the turkey evenly among the bread slices and top with mashed potatoes and a slice of onion give each sandwich a grind of salt and pepper; place in the oven for 10 minutes.
3. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and place two slices of bacon on each sandwich topped with a slice of Muenster cheese; place back in the oven until the cheese has melted and is a little bubbly (about 5 minutes).
4. While the sandwiches are baking reheat your gravy in either a saucepan or in the microwave.
5. Remove the sandwiches from the oven and serve with a side of gravy.
This was a hit. Both of my kids are good eaters and will eat just about anything, but this was something that they both truly enjoyed. Adding the bacon to the sandwiches made the leftovers taste different enough that we were not eating leftovers and I won because there was enough for my lunch the next day.