I was was able to complete the mane, tail, and horn in less than an hour and only needed some multicolored yarn, a file folder, craft glue, glitter, tissue paper or streamers, craft foam, a needle and thread, and a hooded sweatshirt. Since I didn’t want to have to go to the store for any of those items I used Lily’s Olaf pull over and raided my crochet supplies for the yarn.
1. Wrap the yarn loosely around your hand about 20 times and secure tightly in the middle with another piece. Cut the loop on the part opposite where you tied it together. You will need about 20 of these for your mane.
2. Wrap the yarn loosely around your elbow and hand about 50 times for the tail. Tie it securely in the middle just like you did with the pieces for the mane and cut it in the middle.
3. Open the file folder and cut about four inches off an end and then roll it up so that it resembles a horn. Tape the cone you have made so that it will not unroll. At the base of the horn make a few cuts so that you have tabs you can use to sew it onto the hood.
4. Brush glue all over the outside of the cone and cover with small pieces of colored tissue paper, or use streamers like I did. Brush another coat of glue over the tissue paper and sprinkle with glitter. Set aside to dry.
5. While the horn is drying use your needle and thread to attach the mane to the hooded sweatshirt. You only need one or two stitches for each bunch of yarn. I spaced them about 2” apart and kept 3 to use after I sewed the horn to the hood.
6. Place the horn on the top of the hood about 3-4” back from the front. It should fit nicely between two of the bunches you sewed on earlier.
7. Once you have attached the horn use the 3 extra bunches of yarn to cover the edges of the horn.
8. Cut ears out of craft foam, a larger size for the outside portion of the ear and a smaller size for the inside. I did not sew these into the hood until I had He hood on my daughter, but it took just a couple of stitches and then the ears were good to go.
There you have it, a unicorn costume you can make in less than an hour. I should have taken more pictures, but since I did this during my pre time at school I needed to make sure I got it all done in 45 minutes.
Lily plans on wearing this with a white tutu, black legging, and of course her Chucks. I will update with a picture of the complete ensemble tomorrow when we go trick or treating.