No bracket should be left empty and sad.
(This will be updated as March Movie Madness progresses.)
What do you do when sports are canceled? What do you do when your NCAA Tournament bracket sits in the window, empty, dismissed, and forlorn? Well, you have the ultimate movie competition, you invite your friends on social media to help, and you vote on the days that games would occur, that is what you do.
We are not new to the March Movie Madness, we did this a couple of years ago, but on a much smaller scale. This year we had to step up our game to replace the gaping hole in our March.
Pick your theme and categories, we obviously chose movies, but this would be fun to do with greatest players in sports, books, places to vacation etc.
The categories we chose to use are: Suspense/Thriller, Family Comedy, SciFi, Comedy/RomCom, Action, Drama, Sports, and Animated. We enlisted "a little help from our friends" to get our creative juices going for the movies that would end up on the 64 field bracket. No play-in games for this competition.
Selection Sunday was full of surprises, swaps, squabbles, and serious thinking. (I know you like that alliteration!)
To get things started, Libby traded her two animation picks for Lily’s two Suspense/Thriller picks.
Arguments quickly ensued over what falls into the categories of Comedy and Family Comedy. This still remains a grey area...
RJ tried to convince Shannon to use Men In Black as one of his SciFi picks (he really wanted it in the bracket) so he could select Ready Player One, but Shannon would not take the suggestion and Ready Player One did not make the bracket.
Shannon seemed to be quite distracted by his phone when Libby and RJ argued over what worked as a Family Comedy vs Comedy. Again, an agreement could not be met over what could work in each category; it was determined that there is a lot of overlap and concessions were made.
RJ about Grownups: “It’s not a Family Comedy because there’s alcohol and sissys.”
RJ convinced Shannon to trade a Family Comedy pick for a Regular Comedy - 40 Year Old Virgin for Shannon.
The Thriller/Suspense category was dominated by Libby and her four picks.
Arguing ensued over the Action category. Lily was unsure of the movies that would qualify as Action and ended up trading both of her Action spots. Shannon and RJ both surrendered one of their Drama selections for a third Action pick.
Here are the picks:
Hoosiers - Lib
The Natural - Lib
We are Marshall - RJ
Everyone’s Hero -Lil
Bench Warmers - Lil
Little Giants - RJ
Nacho Libre - Shannon
Hardball - Shannon
Mad Max - Shannon
Inception - Lib
Wall-E - Lib
MIB - RJ
Back to the Future - Lil
Terminator - Shannon
The Martian - Lil
Planet of the Apes - RJ
Night at the Museum - RJ
The Parent Trap (original) - RJ
School of Rock - Shannon
Napoleon Dynamite - Lib
Elf - Lil
Mall Cop - Lil
Here Comes the Boom - RJ
Big Daddy - RJ
Rush Hour - Shannon
Dark Knight - Lib
Rambo - RJ
The Sting - Lib
Die Hard - RJ
Hancock - RJ
John Wick - Shannon
Con Air - Shannon
Frozen - Lil
Frozen II - Lil
Snow White - Lil
Jungle Book - Shannon
Robots - RJ
Tangled - Lil
Up - Shannon
Toy Story - RJ
Comedy (RomCom didn’t make an appearance):
Dumb and Dumber - Lil
Daddy’s Home - Shannon
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off - Lil (don’t judge)
The Big Lebowski - Lib
Office Space - Lib
We are the Miller’s - Lib
40 Year-Old Virgin - Shannon
Grown Ups - Shannon
A Quiet Place - RJ
Silence of the Lambs - Shannon
Leon the Professional - Lib
Grosse Pointe Blank - Lib
Boondock Saints - Shannon
Identity Thief - RJ
Training Day - Lib
16 Blocks - Lib
The Shawshank Redemption - RJ
Gran Torino - Lib
Rad - Shannon
The Cobbler - Lil
The Greatest Showman - Lil
Toy Story 4 - Lil
Almost Famous - Lib
Cinderella - Lil
First round results:
- #1 Dark Knight - did not allow 16 Blocks a chance at winning, pure domination.
- #12 Grownups - come from behind win against the #4 Night at the Museum - it was close up to the end.
- #3 Elf knocked #11 Rambo out of the ring, no fighting chance.
- #10 Ferris Bueller had a strong showing against Big Daddy
- #1 Identity Thief with a surprising win over #8 Hancock
- #11 Mall Cop vs #4 The Jungle Book - OT - Mall Cop pulls out a strong finish for the win.
- #12 We at Marshall with a tough win over #14 The Natural
- #2 Die Hard over #7 The Greatest Showman
- #16 The Big Lebowski stuns #8 Training Day
- #4 Hoosiers (of course) massacres #11 Wall-E
- #3 Toy Story destroys #6 Toy Story 4
- #10 Back to the Future with a win that was not expected, even with their higher seed. #15 Napoleon Dynamite always brings a good game to the court.
- #8 Gran Torino over #1 Almost Famous. Sex, drugs, and rock n roll have nothing over a transformed, grumpy, old man who sacrificed his life for others.
- #11 Frozen was definitely slighted with it’s seed in the selection process and its win over #5 Tangled was not a surprise.
- #11 Con Air with a win over #14 Mad Max
- #10 Shawshank over #2 Silence of the Lambs