We have blackberries, lots of them. What do you do with all of this amazing goodness? Make blackberry jam, of course.
1. Wash the berries and pick out any foreign objects.
2. Place berries in saucepan and mash.
3. Cook the smashed berries over medium high heat until they start to bubble. Make sure you are stirring them while they cook and allow them to boil for about 5 minutes.
4. Turn off the heat and add your sugar, it is about 1 cup of sugar per 1 cup of berries. I used a bit less than this and my jam still turned out well.
5. Turn heat back on to medium high and allow to boil for another 5 minutes. If you want thicker jam now is when you add in pectin, let it boil for a minute or so after you have added the pectin.
6. Turn off the heat and whisk the berry mixture for about 5 minutes, this helps release the natural pectin in the berries.
7. Now you can can your jam using a pressure canner or the boiling water method. You can also put into jars and refrigerate if you plan on consuming it quickly.
So easy and quite possibly the best jam I have ever made.