A friend shared a recipe for making pizza in a cast iron skillet, so we decided that we would give a go for dinner last night. I made some changes to the recipe and posted my version for you to try below.
Make sure that you have everything ready to go, and that you are careful when you put the dough into the skillet.
Ingredients for pizza dough:
I also dropped some spoonfuls of Ricotta cheese and fresh basil leaves on our pizza.
2. Add olive oil and warm water; mix well.
3. Using the dough attachment continue to mix and gradually add another 1 cup of flour. Add additional flour until the dough has formed a ball and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. The dough will still be slightly sticky.
4. In another large bowl brush olive oil all around the inside.
5. Lightly dust your hands with flour and form your pizza dough into a round ball and transfer to your olive oil-brushed bowl. Roll the dough around to coat with oil. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and place somewhere warm to rise. Turn on your oven to preheat to 500. Once it has reached 500, place your cast iron skillet so it can preheat.
6. Allow dough to rise for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
7. Once the dough has risen, use your hands to gently deflate it and transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead briefly until smooth, 2 -3 minutes.
8. Cut the dough in half and with a rolling pin work the dough into a circle the size of your skillet. I did this on a lightly floured piece of parchment paper.
9. Make sure sauce, cheese, and the rest of your toppings are ready to go.
10. Once pan has preheated, remove from oven, pour a little olive oil in the skillet, and carefully move the skillet around to spread the oil. Turn oven temperature down to 425.
11. Place dough circle in pan. If you rolled the dough on parchment paper it should be easy to just flip the dough into the pan.
12. Spread sauce, sprinkle mozzarella cheese, and add toppings of your choice.
13. Bake for 14-16 minutes; cheese will be bubbly and the crust should be golden brown. Slide the pizza out of the pan and onto a cutting board.
14. Repeat with the other dough ball to make second pizza.