To start the evening I will be serving the kids Shirley Temples, I am unsure of how Lily will take to these since she does not like "hot", fizzy, beverages. I plan on making Fettuccine Alfredo with Italian Arancini (rice balls), a light salad, and then a simple Jell-O Cheesecake.
3 ounces lemon-lime soda
3 ounces ginger ale
Maraschino cherry for garnish
Pour lemon-lime soda and ginger ale into a glass with ice cubes. Then, add a dash of grenadine. Finally, stir your refreshing drink and top it off with a cherry.
1 lb. dried fettuccine
6 tbs. unsalted butter
1 shallot, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. heavy cream
1 c. finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1. Cook the fettuccine in a pot of rapidly boiling salted water until al dente. Drain in a colander, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking liquid.
2. While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic and sauté until tender. Add heavy cream and bring to a boil. Cook until sauce has reduced slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
3. Return the pasta to the pot it was cooked in, set over medium-high heat along with the reserved cooking liquid. Add the butter-cream mixture and half of the Parmesan and toss to combine thoroughly. Add salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.
2 cups cooked white rice, cooled
½ cup grated Parmesan
3 eggs, separated
8 small cubes fresh mozzarella
1 cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
Oil, for frying
1. Place a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat and add enough vegetable oil to rise 4 inches in the pot.
2. Combine the rice, Parmesan and 1 egg in a medium bowl and use your hands to thoroughly combine the mixture.
3. Form each Arancini by taking a small portion of the mixture, squeezing it firmly and stuffing one cube of mozzarella inside each ball. Repeat this process to form 8 Arancini.
4. Whisk together the remaining 2 eggs. Dip each Arancini in the eggs and then in the breadcrumbs, shaking off any excess.
5. Once the oil reaches 375ºF, add 2 or 3 of the breaded Arancini to the pot and fry them until golden brown and cooked throughout.
6. Use a slotted spoon to remove the fried Arancini from the pot and transfer them to a paper towel-lined plate. Immediately salt the arancini. Repeat the frying process with the remaining Arancini.
7. Serve the Arancini warm with a side of warm marinara sauce.
Do your own thing for the salad. :)
1 c. pretzels, crushed
1/2 c. graham crackers, crushed
4 1/2 tbs. sugar
3/4 c. butter, melted
2 c. sliced strawberries
3 tbs. sugar
6 oz pkg. Strawberry Jell-O
16 oz. cream cheese
1 c. sugar
8 oz. Cool Whip, thawed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the pretzels, graham crackers, 4 1/2 tbs. sugar and melted butter. Press into 9×13 pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
2. In a small bowl combine the 3 tbs. sugar and the sliced strawberries; refrigerate.
3. In a medium bowl, beat 1 c. sugar and cream cheese until smooth. Fold in the Cool Whip. Spread over the cooled crust. Refrigerate about 30 minutes.
4. Make Jell-O according to quick set directions and mix in the strawberries. Pour over cream cheese mixture in pan. Refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 2 hours.