The struggle is real to find creative things to do with Thanksgiving (and soon to be Christmas) leftovers y'all. I can do one meal that is just a recreation of the feast we had a couple of days prior, but after that I need to change things up so we are not bored with our meals.
I found a recipe for hot, turkey sandwiches and used that as my inspiration for this meal. I will tell you that I was not sure how great they would taste, but I was more than pleasantly surprised with the results.
18 slices of bacon
1 small onion, sliced
Sliced Muenster cheese, enough for one slice per sandwich (9 slices if you are getting the Texas Toast from the freezer section.)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Texas Toast (you can get the kind in the frozen section of the grocery or make your own by thickly slicing a loaf of French Bread and adding garlic butter to each slice)
Leftovers: Gravy, mashed potatoes, and turkey
How to prepare:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
2. Arrange the Texas Toast on a baking sheet. Divide the turkey evenly among the bread slices and top with mashed potatoes and a slice of onion give each sandwich a grind of salt and pepper; place in the oven for 10 minutes.
3. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and place two slices of bacon on each sandwich topped with a slice of Muenster cheese; place back in the oven until the cheese has melted and is a little bubbly (about 5 minutes).
4. While the sandwiches are baking reheat your gravy in either a saucepan or in the microwave.
5. Remove the sandwiches from the oven and serve with a side of gravy.
This meal was a hit. Both of my kids are good eaters, but there are always nights where one is not happy with the chosen meal (Lily is not a fan of lasagna...who the heck does not like lasagna?!); this meal was one that they both thoroughly enjoyed. Adding the bacon to the sandwiches gave them a different flavor than just another night of leftovers and I won because there was enough for my lunch the next day.
Make this, you will not regret it.